Llano County Courthouse
Llano’s current courthouse located in the center of Llano’s historic square was originally built in 1893. It is still used to hold district court today. The building is essentially the same as when it was constructed, and is the 39th oldest in the state. Monuments that surround this city sentinel are dedicated to veterans of the Confederacy, World War I, and Vietnam. The Llano County Courthouse and its grounds are used today as the station for daily government workers as well as many celebrations and events.
Llano County "Red Top" Jail
The oldest B & B in Llano would definitely be the Llano County “Red Top” Jail which served the community from 1895 to 1982. A landmark and historical site today, the Red Top Jail housed jailors and their families on the first floor, prisoners on the second and third floors, and a gallows on the fourth floor. The Red Top Jail is a Romanesque Revival structures constructed from Llano County granite. It is maintained by a local committee, and tours are currently given on Saturdays, during events, and upon request at the Visitor Center.
When Llano was incorporated in 1892, and the first bridge was constructed across the Llano River to connect the north and south communities, the Austin and Northwestern Railroad opened a depot. This was the center of passenger and freight cars heading west out of Austin to the Hill Country. In 1961, a fire decimated the original depot building, and in 2007 the city had the current structure planned and erected. It now serves as the Llano Visitor Center, Chamber of Commerce, and Railroad Museum.
Originally built in 1935 to replace the 1892 bridge which was swept away in a flood, this beautiful multi-span truss construction crosses the Llano River on the north side of the old downtown. The trellised walkways along each side of the bridge were added later and allow visitors to enjoy unique views of the river.
This prime property across from the courthouse at one time or another prior housed a saloon, barber shop, grocery store, tin shop, café, doctor’s office, and a meat market. It finally settled on a theater and play house in 1927, and since then has enjoyed huge success as one of few remaining one-screen movie theaters and home to the Llano Country Opry. The building is now owned by the city which is dedicated to its continued use as an historic and economic asset.
Llano County Historical Museum
Originally a drug store owned by the Bruhl Family, the Llano County Historical Museum still displays the old soda fountain. It is located just on the north side of the bridge, and is filled with items collected from residents and families of the area, including polo memorabilia, military uniforms, and rural artifacts. This museum is open Wednesday to Saturday.
Built in 1907, was the "end of track" overnight hotel for the railroaders until 1979. It is the last of a group of hotels that stood around the old railroad station. It is a vigorous, quaint, lively bed and breakfast today.